Monday, December 22, 2008

SING PRAISES

I, like most people, love this time of year but I find myself feeling a bit hollow as I run around, like a headless chicken, trying to get everything done, everyone checked off the list as well as the numerous parties and get togethers that seem to pop up nightly this time of year! It takes a lot to get me into the true meaning and spirit of Christmas, UNTIL I start singing. Each year its a great thing for me to participate in a choir for Christmas Sunday. I always love being in the choir but throughout the year kinda slack on it, but I really commit for Christmas-time and it's always paid off.... :)

I remember a couple of years ago I was feeling my usual "yeah, it's just another HUGELY commercialized day" sorta of way. I was jaded from going from store to store and seeing nothing but the big man in the red suit and spending what seemed like our groceries for the upcoming year. Then we started getting ready for the Christmas program........THIS IS THE CHRIST was the song that I remember really changing that year for me. Within one week of practice, my whole attitude changed about the coming holiday. All of a sudden it had meaning! There was a purpose to the madness - haha - if I kept it in perspective, it was to celebrate His life and testify that He did live and continues to live through his ressurection. The spiritual light bulb was on!

Another year I found myself listening to Alan Jackson's Christmas CD. The title song "Let It Be Christmas" really touched me. He sang of the true spirit and feeling of the season, how Christmas is in your heart and all around you. A story of Hope and Joy and Peace! I made copies of the CD (I've never been good about copyright) and printed the lyrics in lieu of our family Christmas message that year.

So it's no surprise that this year, while feeling overwhelmed, the holiday spirit was renewed within me through great music. We had an ensemble group led by LDS artist Cameron Steele (who happens to be in my stake & our insurance broker) come sing for a night of music. WOW..... they were amazing. The opening song had me from the second the girl started singing Mary's song.

I have traveled many moonless nights,
Cold and weary with a babe inside,
And i wonder what i've done.
Holy father you have come,
And chosen me now to carry your son.

In our ward choir we did 4 numbers that were very different from the traditional Christmas songs......yet very beautiful. The music was hard and we only had 3 weeks to prepare. Our director is truely talented and taught me musical things that were brand new to me. I loved every minute! The performances went well as we sang about the night they stopped at the Inn and found shelter in the stable.......and the babe was born! Our final song was a womens choir of primary girls (including Baili) and adult women (including yours truly). It was a mix of Angels We Have Heard on High and He sent He Son. I felt the same feeling as I have felt on previous years as we sang about the Savior of the World being sent from above, for us!

Im thankful that i have such a great love for music.....all music, well ok, most music! I am often touched by a song that tells a story or touches my spirit. Christmas time is a fun time to listen to songs from lots of people, our radio is set to 106.5 for all the holiday music. I love it! I put some of our favorites on my playlist down below. There is something to be said about sacred music though, there is a different feeling about it - for me at least! It reminds me of the true meaning of this holiday and that although we love Santa Claus coming to town on his Rudolf the Rednosed Raindeer......it's about more than that. It's about a baby born to a young mother, and how that one event changed the world forever.





3 comments:

shaunandnina said...

Merry Christmas! Love ya!

jenreeder said...

me too... this years song for me was Faith Hill's "a Baby Changes Everything". I didn't really pay attention to it, but then one day the radio announcer told everyone to really listen to the lyrics. I did, and had tears pouring down my face while driving. I haven't had anyone else listen to it yet, because I don't think that I could re-create the experience. The song is so-so, but the Spirit I felt was amazing. So thankful for music... especially this time of year!
love you!xoxo

The Brock Family said...

I agree! Music speaks to me in so many ways! Have a Wonderful Christmas!