Saturday, September 4, 2010

All good things must come to an end

and this includes my little "sabbatical" from the blogging world. I felt totally unmotivated to blog even though there was lots going on and Ive been taking lots of pictures. So were back from our vacation to Florida and kids are back in school. I love how that creates immediate order to our lives. Chaotic order but order none the less.......
So lets start with where we left off. Girls camp.....wow that seems like a year ago. It was my first girls camp in years, actually since I went to girls camp as a young woman myself. Initially I was NOT excited. I am not a camper by any means. The few times that Ive tried to connect with my inner "wilderness Annie", I have fallen short and gotten so frustrated that I swore I would never try again. A few camping trips pregnant probably didn't help my attitude. I don't like being uncomfortable or dirty so pretty much a Super 8 is my idea of roughing it. So.... I brought along a machine gun....lol just kidding! We got to shoot this awesome rifle which is actually replacing the AK's the military use in Afghanistan. I took this picture just for my Dad because I thought he'd be proud considering our IRA roots - (umm JOKE - that was a joke......)



BUT girls camp was awesome! We stayed at the Stewart Ranch in Cottonwood, just north of Alamo. The scenery was beautiful, leaders got to sleep in a cabin and the 16 teenage girls didn't fight with each other - BLISS! We did fun activities, crafts, hikes, survival training (umm, decapitating & roasting crickets...was not my idea), water fights, morning devotionals and evening firesides and testimony meetings. Friendships were created and sharing spiritual experiences together was probably the highlight of the 4 days we were there.
It's amazing when you take stress & technology out of the picture how much more we appreciate the world around us and the people around us. I love my young women, all of them, and enjoyed the time together on the mountain. Oh also the food was FABULOUS thanks to our camp cook.

4 comments:

LEWandBEV said...

What's scary is that you look like you know what you're doing with that big gun, lol. Cute pics and sounds like you had lots of fun. Keep the blog updates coming. I wanna see pics from Florida. :)

shaunandnina said...

I love you! I love your jokes - really needed a good laugh...way too tired today!!! And I love that you won the cupcake eating contest! (but does this mean that you found your inner wilderness b/c now we'll have less in common :( J/K!)

ABBOTTLAND said...

Nice guns, girl! I mean your muscles. I'm so glad this year changed your attitude towards camping. Sure you'll be wilderness Annie from now on, right? Eh, the comment about the IRA, you need to check yourself, you never know who is reading your blog on the world wide web. You never know! Dad got a kick out of it anyway.
~Mandy

Theresa Rodriguez said...

I made the blog. Very exciting moment for me. Even if i look nastified in my camp attire and 5 inch long roots. So happy to have served with you. I am so glad we got to know each other and come to terms with the fact that we are kindred spirits who needed a good camping trip to bond! You're amazing!