Sunday, May 27, 2012

excuse me while I stagger up on my soap box with my 4 inch stilletos

I was shocked during Bailis middle school awards ceremony at the attire of some of the kids.  Like really, it was shocking!  I found myself unable to keep my mouth shut *I know that is shocking in itself * and had to verbalize my disbelief to people around me.  I kinda knew them so it wasn't like I was just rambling to anyone willing to listen, although I do that too. 
So remember these middle school kids are between the ages of 11 and 15 at most.  As always, the girls were the biggest violators and I had flashbacks to my Mam telling us four girls if we ever wore anything questionable that we could "get back in there and change immediately" and she didn't care if we were late to wherever we were going, "we would wear that over her dead body!" ha....the memories....

....the invitation said to wear your best clothes for the "special" occasion so I guess some of the tweens thought that meant "club wear"?    I kid you not, strapless, booty dresses on little girls.....the images burned into my memory.  One girl had a skin tight, I mean saran wrap tight, one shoulder dress that was so short it just barely fit over her non existent behind.  She might have been skinnier than Baili so she looked like a twig with a piece of material caught in it from the wind.  WHAT ARE YOUR PARENTS THINKING?????  Didn't that look "awkward" when she walked down the stairs and said she was ready?  Didn't you think, "oh my gosh, do they card at the middle school before they give you your straight A award?"  Didn't they see that their daughter looked like...ummm,  a 21 year old on the strip or a street walker??
But that was only one of many!  10 or so girls had short "party style" dresses, no straps, boobs hanging out, full makeup, hair and accessories!  And the shoes.....Ok (deep breath) I love shoes.  I love heels.   I love cute, sassy, heels.  I am 34.  I get to wear cute sassy heels.  Your 12 year old does not!  I'm sorry but it is just wrong to see a small, little girl (even if she thinks shes 20) trying to walk in 3-4 inch heels. Doesn't it stint their growth or something?  Combine that with the inappropriate get up of clothes, makeup, hair and attitude and I wanted to stand up off my bleacher seat and yell.....WHAT THE HECK IS WRONG WITH THIS PICTURE!
What's sad is I don't think the majority of the crowd even knew there was a picture.  Obviously the parents let their kids out like that.  The same parents that will be saying in years to come......"I don't know what went wrong?"  "Why did she drop out of school" "I didn't know she was drinking/drugging/having sex at 14"    Are you blind?
I try not to be judgmental and maybe some of these families are broken, have major stress in their lives yada yada but come on?  I don't mean to offend.  These are your kids, kids not women!  Why do they look like grown ups?  Even grown up women shouldn't degrade themselves wearing those clothes. Remember the option to cover up?
On the other hand, I saw a number of girls that were dressed cute but modest (gratefully that group included Baili who would leave the house over my dead body in such clothing but also doesn't want to wear them).  Shoulders covered, mid-length dresses, appropriate shoes, hair and makeup.  The contrast was noticeable!  Inside my head I was thinking, "fair play to you, you look sophisticated & cute going up there to accept your award."
Consider that this particular group of 200 or so kids represented the "good kids" of the middle school, the "smart ones" the "over achievers".  Many of them received multiple awards for excellence, some of them received brand new Kindles and many of them went up three or four times for recognition.  I do not take that away from them.  They are obviously hard working students BUT I do blame their parents for letting them out of the house dressed like Hollywood celebs.  How can we expect to teach our children self respect, morality, and grace if we allow them to dress like street walkers.  Not to mention the effect the visual has on the boys.  Eh ya, the boys all covered up and stylin',  checking out the girls.....did I mention these kids are 11-15?  Why is it not clear that a generation has been created of kids that live and act years beyond what they actually are.  These kids are loosing their childhood, missing opportunities to enjoy each stage of their young lives and being thrown into this crazy world way too early, with a good luck hug from Mom & Dad.
I'm stepping down off my soap box now...........

7 comments:

GHFamily said...

It's about time someone vented. Stripper teenagers have become the new normal. I hate it. I am so glad I work at a school where the kids care more about their grades than what they are wearing. When I was a teen, my mother would have knocked my teeth out if I wore clothes like that. Someone is paying for these ridiculous clothes-hello parents! I don't even want to hear any excuses. You are the parent, start parenting. Ok, getting off my soapbox with stitches in my feet.

DancELation said...

AMEN SISTA!

shaunandnina said...

Couldn't agree more! Well said. Love you!

Mattie Rae said...

I couldn't agree more. My daughter who is 11 gets so mad when I say she can't wear makeup and has to wear modest clothes and can't have heels yet.

Your day will come, darlin' but not yet.

She's better now after her dad had a blunt talk with her about the creeps there are in the world who would love to take advantage of little girls who dress and look like adult women. It was a graphic talk but I think it opened her eyes a bit more.

Modesty is part of being virtuous and teaching girls to respect themselves and their bodies. If they don't have self-respect then the men and boys they meet won't have respect for them either.

Joan said...

Too true Kim - it terrible to seem them here half dressed when they are making their confirmation (age 12). But it starts younger than than when parents buy inappropriate clothing for toddlers because they think they are cute- some of the comments on the tee shirts would be pushing it for teens never mind tots

Joan said...

Too true Kim. You should see some of the outfits the girls here wear for their confirmation at age 12!! But it starts younger when the parents dress little girls in sexy outfits, and even put tee shirts on them with inappropriate slogans. Some of the stores here have started selling padded bras for 6-7 year olds and whats worse the parents buy them...

Mack Attack said...

I MISS YOU!! And I miss your soap box! I'm so glad you found my blog and we can be friends again! I've been wondering lately what you're up to and if you're still YW president?! You're family is as cute as ever! And I LOVE this post! Totally agree. Email me and give me an update on your life. An unedited, not blog worthy, update.