Saturday, October 4, 2008

Zimbabwe Relief Effort

Before this years Relief Society Womens Broadcast I sat and listened to stories of school children in Zimbabwe. I was touched and reflected on how comfortable our lives are in the US.

Brother Gourley told how, while on a hunting safari, he promised some young school children that when he returned he would bring school supplies back to them. He showed pictures of their run down school-house, no more than a shack! No tables to work on, just small wooden benches to sit on. Writing paper scarce and one little girl unable to attend school for the want of a pencil. Oh the things we take for granted!

He shared how "miracles" occured with getting the huge amount of supplies from Las Vegas to Zimbabwe and then a photoslide of the children with their new school items. He also brought items from our stake here in NW Las Vegas that sisters had put together over the months, hygiene kits, dolls, bracelets and books. I thought to myself how it doesn't take that much effort to make a difference, especially when we work together.

I'm so grateful to belong to the Relief Society of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, the largest womens organization in the world! The motto of which, Faith, Hope and Charity burns in my heart and encourages me to serve others, beginning first with my own family.
After such meetings, I feel uplifted, edified, inspired and grateful for all that I have.

2 comments:

jenreeder said...

me too, Kim! Last year I had been making so many knit hats and wondering if they ever helped anyone out, then during conference when they told about different relief efforts they showed pictures of all of these children in our hats! I bawled my eyes out, so thankful that such a small effort on our parts had actually helped. Who knows if they were my actual hats, blankets and kits, but I do know that it was the work of the Lord and that I helped in it. Amazing.

Mattie Rae said...

Singing: As sisters in Zion we all work together . . ."