
This weekend Ive been contemplating the powerful role of women in the world. Ive always felt the importance of womanhood - the gift of compassion, nurturing and love that we possess. No matter how powerful or important men may seem in the world - and they are important - it's clear to me that we (women) are the supreme creation of a powerful and perfect Heavenly Father.
Im so thankful for the wonderful female relationships in my life. My Mam who has instilled in me some of my strongest qualities and sacrificed so much to give me the best in life. Sams Mom who raised a good son to love and take care of me. My sisters whose bonds are so necessary to feeling full in my life (and Im not talking about the food we always eat when we get together...lol) and my girlfriends who without you I would definitely "light my hair on fire" and that just wouldn't be cute!
Over the years, female role models like Sr. Mary and Sr. Catherine, Selisian Nuns who taught me in Primary school. I credit them also for helping mold me into the person I am today along with grandmothers, aunts, and piano teachers. .
As my girls are getting older, I have a great desire to be a good role model and example to them. I want to raise strong, righteous women with good self esteems, fun personalities (which they already have) and a compassion toward others. To teach that I have to be that........
Our stake at church had a womens conference today which I loved! I LOVE that women are important in the church - we are not put down as some would believe - and are not treated as baby makers or slaves to our husbands, quite the opposite. We are encouraged to learn and grow and become our best selves, while rearing a family and co-piloting the journey with our husbands.
One of the sisters talked about how throughout the scriptures Jesus loved and respected women, which was contrary to the customs of His day. She shared brief stories of how he served, counselled and comforted women in the New Testament. It feels good to know that women, all women, are important to our Heavenly Father.
This afternoon Baili and I got to sit down and listen to a talk by Elder M. Russell Ballard an Apostle of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints. Wow....timely.....his talk was directed to mothers and daughters to strengthen their relationship and grow together in love. I love watching Baili become a young woman - yep it scares me knickers into a knot - but she is so confident and smart and beyond her years. Today she opened her first email account and I can't believe my first baby is growing up.....good thing I took the "Are you battle ready" (mothers of teens) class today along with the ""Psychological Warfare" (dealing with depression). When Im beating my head against the wall in a few years.....I'll call you don't worry!
Here are some of my favorite excerpts from Elder Ballards talk:
"Popular culture today often makes women look silly, inconsequential, mindless, and powerless. It objectifies them and disrespects them and then suggests that they are able to leave their mark on mankind only by seduction—easily the most pervasively dangerous message the adversary sends to women about themselves".
"Love your mother, my young sisters. Respect her. Listen to her. Trust her. She has your best interests at heart. She cares about your eternal safety and happiness. So be kind to her. Be patient with her imperfections, for she has them. We all do".
"Throughout the history of the world, women have always been teachers of moral values. That instruction begins in the cradle and continues throughout the lives of their children. Today our society is bombarded with messages about womanhood and motherhood that are dangerously wrong. Following these messages can put your daughters on the path to sin and self-destruction. Your daughters may not understand that unless you tell them or, better, unless you show them how to make good choices. As mothers in Israel, you are your daughters’ first line of defense against the wiles of the world.
"Now, mothers, I understand that it sometimes appears that our children aren’t paying attention to the lessons we’re trying to teach them. Believe me—I’ve seen that glazed-over look that comes to the eyes of teenagers just when you’re coming to what you think is the best part of your instruction. Let me assure you that even when you think your daughter is not listening to a thing you say, she is still learning from you as she watches you to see if your actions match your words. As Ralph Waldo Emerson is believed to have said, “What you do speaks so loud that I cannot hear what you say”
To all the women in my life......this is a shout out to you.....YOU ARE IMPORTANT! YOU MATTER! YOU HAVE A PURPOSE, with or without kids! I LOVE LOVE LOVE YOU!

6 comments:
Ah Presh! Sounds like an awesome conference. I can't believe how big Baili is getting. It's bitter sweet :( Loves.
Sounds like it was a great conference!
This is soooo beautiful Kim.....I am so proud of you and how you fulfil your calling. Heavenly Father has blessed you so abundantly with your little ones. When I was a young Mom you all were my life...my everything:o) The night the Elders came and challenged me to read the Book of Mormon in Moroni 10 when I read of 'the mercy' it was through thoughts of you five beautiful children with whom I had been so richly blessed that the Holy Spirit bore witness to me that it was true. It brings me such joy to see you appreciate the wonder of Motherhood. I love you too
Ahh Kim..that was so sweet..it brought tears to my eyes! You are truly a blessing!
you are a good woman.
Lovely post Kim. Sis Catherine is still teaching in my Daughters school. She is such a lovely, gentle lady.
Post a Comment