Thursday, July 8, 2010

The Un-thanked

It felt like a ran into a bunch of Civil War soldiers this morning at Smiths grocery store. We were out of milk so I went early this morning before everyone woke up to get some. I noticed A LOT of forest workers all around the store. They all looked the same - like literally - I felt like I was in a weird movie were everyone was a clone except me! Except for one woman, that I saw, they were all men. Obviously firefighters - like the legit kind - probably working on the wild fire at Mount Charleston. They ALL, I mean ALL of them had beards (ahem not the girl), pretty scruffy ones at that. (check out the 2nd guy from the top left). If any of you know my Dad, you gotta know that I KNOW BEARDS! I've never seen him without one. Not my favorite feature on a man (sorry dad) but nonetheless, these guys had 'em. They looked tired. I guess they were buying food, snacks, drinks and were probably going back up to fight the fires.
UGH I hate when I miss an opportunity. I thought it would be retarded if I said "Thanks for your hard work" so I didn't. I thought they'd look at me like I had two heads, but now I wish I had said it. Poor things. They looked so weary and obviously had been fighting fires for a while. Their clothes as well as their skin was all black with ash and soot.

Ok, so sometimes Im a little dramatic - only sometimes....haha....but I couldn't stop thinking about them when I left the store. The looked like soldiers from the civil war, the kind you see in the movies - like NORTH & SOUTH type! I guess their uniforms and the beards helped that visual.

The two trucks in the parking lot said CEDAR CITY HOT SHOTS! I think they probably dont get thanked enough for their hard work. I love when my kids get the chance to thank military officers when they see them. Ryan & I signed a "Happy 4th of July" poster at the store this past weekend, and Im thankful to Lucas, Lewis and other police officers that we know that serve our community. It just felt like these guys should have the same gratitude!

THANK YOU CEDAR CITY HOT SHOTS!

3 comments:

LEWandBEV said...

I love this, you are sweet and you should have said Thanks to them, but hey they get a blog shout out so that's just as good :) They are hardcore and the real deal for sure!

The Matlocks said...

ah come on man! North and South?? hahaha. JK, cute post luv.

ABBOTTLAND said...

Ditto! I think we all need to be reminded how much service people do to serve and protect us so we can enjoy the freedoms we have. Its so good that you are encouraging that respect and gratitude in your kids. Next time you should say thanks. You never know what it might mean to them. And, btw, you do have two heads. Didn't you know? Ha ha.
~Mandy