Being a part of the political process was interesting and some of my fellow delegates were entertaining to say the least. I got to get to know some of the ladies from my ward a little better so that was definitely a highlight.


That evening we had a Relief Society Birthday dinner. The Relief Society is the women's organization in The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints and I'm proud to be a part of this, the largest women's organization in the world. I was in a small singing group performing that night. We sang a song, written by one of the women called "Something Special, Something Extraordinary" about the role of women in the world and in everyday life. The program and the food were amazing. I even felt inspired to possibly give up paper plates for real table wear maybe one night a week...ha!
I was truly touched surrounded by 200 women or so from this immediate area, to know they all, regardless of background, race or age, all believe as I believe and have a desire to help and support other women in their lives. They say there is power in numbers and I felt it that night. The program was a presentation of each of the general relief society presidents that have led this organization since the restoration of the gospel in the 1800's. Each of those women served in a time of need in the world. They understood what women of their particular era in history were going through and they had a deep desire to help. The concluding spotlight was Emma Smith, wife to the prophet of the restoration, Joseph Smith. Her life was so difficult. Many times the prophet was snatched from their home, arrested unjustly and their family persecuted until his martyrdom.
The purpose of the evening was to celebrate women and remind us that we are special, important & extraordinary. What a great day!



0 comments:
Post a Comment